It’s all about relationships and connection.

Dr. Jody carrington

Reflecting on both of my practicum experiences, my biggest takeaway from both was connections. I was in awe of the connections and relationship built with students in such a short time. Throughout my practicums, I learned that building relationships as the foundation of the classroom culture embedded in respect and kindness is essential. I discovered how important it is to share about myself in the beginning, while simultaneously asking students to share about themselves with me so connections and relationships can grow. Once these connections and relationships were established, I found that the ease of classroom routines and expectations followed naturally, creating a safe environment for all to learn in. Below is one of my favourite quotes by child psychologist and author, Dr. Jody Carrington.

A relationship with the one you are trying to teach, lead, or love is where all the power lies

Dr. Jody carrington

I also feel so fortunate to have connected with my Coaching Teachers and school community, which all played an integral part of my learning journey in both of my practicums. Fostering these connections and engaging in regular communication and collaboration created a space for sharing of knowledge and resources. I am so grateful for the connections made with students and teachers throughout my practicums, something I will never forget! Here are some momentos from my students 🙂