Throughout the course of the UNBC B.Ed program, I have learned the importance of Standard 2. When reflecting on what Standard 2 means to me, my initial instinct was that this is an obvious necessity of the profession and goes without saying. However, throughout my learning journey in the program, I have grown to understand the importance of Standard 2 in every educators practice. To me, Standard 2 provides the guidance for all educators to uphold the integrity, credibility, and the reputation of the profession at all times. This includes maintaining a certain level of professionalism at school and afterwards. In my own personal teaching practice, I strive to maintain a positive, professional demeanour in all interactions with students, faculty, families, and the community. It is important for educators to establish what this looks like for their individual practice and to set boundaries between their personal and professional life. Although, this may be the most clear and obvious standard required throughout the profession, I had difficulty putting into words as I did not have a visual to demonstrate myself actually putting this standard into practice. For me, Standard 2 is always in effect and applicable both during and after school. It is an embedded and integral part of my teaching practice that I hold in high regard.

Professional is not a label you give yourself – it’s a description you hope others will apply to you.

David maister