Hello, my name is Kendra Stewart (she/her) and welcome to my page! I’m a graduate of the UNBC B.Ed Elementary Years program, with a Bachelor of Commerce and Marketing. I was born and raised in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island, where I have also called Tofino, Ucluelet, and Victoria home. Growing up in a coastal temperate rainforest climate, I enjoy all things outdoors including hiking, camping, swimming, fishing, kayaking, you name it. As a Teacher Candidate, I am excited to bring the outdoor experience to the classroom, and incorporate land based learning and holistic approaches throughout my future teaching experiences.

Upon graduating, I obtained a Grade 1 class at Pinewood Elementary. I discovered my passion for engaging students through a variety of differentiated instruction and place-based learning activities. I hope to foster a holistic and inclusive learning environment that authentically integrates the Core Competencies, First Peoples Principles of Learning, and curriculum through engaging and experiential lessons. Previously, I have had the rewarding opportunity of working as an Indigenous Education Assistant in School District 63 in Saanich and Sidney on Vancouver Island. In this role I supported predominantly Indigenous Students of the WSANEC Territory on literacy and numeracy development. I’ve also had the wonderful opportunity of working with persons with exceptionalities such as Autism Spectrum Disorder as a Child Support Worker and Life Skills Worker where I gained experiences working in an inclusive environment.

I’m grateful for the opportunity to learn and grow throughout the B.Ed program at UNBC! After being inspired by learning from kind, positive, and memorable teachers throughout my education experience, I hope to become a teacher who ensures every student feels included, safe, heard, and valued in an inclusive learning environment. I look forward to embarking on this journey of learning, knowing and sharing with my own teachers and future students! Thank you for stopping by my page 🙂 – Kendra Stewart