During my Educ 490 practicum, I taught a small unit focused on the elements of art to my Grade 2 class. This unit connected with the Arts Education curriculum content, focused on elements design, including: line, shape, texture, and colour. Students also explored the different processes, materials, tools, and techniques used to support different art activities. The following core competencies were embedded throughout this unit:

Collaborating

• I take on different roles and tasks in the group and work respectfully and safely in our shared space.
  • I express my ideas and help others feel comfortable to share theirs so that all voices are included.

Creative Thinking

• I can get new ideas or build on or combine other people’s ideas to create new things within the constraints of a form, a problem, or materials.
  • I can use my imagination to get new ideas of my own, or build on other’s ideas.

Positive and Cultural Identity

• I can identify objects or images that represent things that are important to me and explain what I like and dislike.
Visual I created in teaching the Elements of Design

Below are some examples of students artwork created featuring the elements of design: line, shape, colour, and texture. In the first art lesson, students created ladybugs inspired by Eric Carle’s “The Grouchy Ladybug” and the following was inspired by a spring lesson on butterflies. Enjoy!